How are applications for Home Occupations handled?

Home occupations involve a very simple administrative review.  However, in situations where significant issues are raised an application may be referred to the Planning Board.  Staff decisions may be appealed to the Zoning Board of Adjustment.  The Zoning Ordinance defines a home occupation as follows:

Home Occupation.  Any use conducted entirely within a dwelling or an accessory building which is clearly incidental and secondary to the use of the dwelling purposes and which does not change the character thereof, and in connection with which there is no outside display or storage, nor emission of dust, noise, fumes, vibration or smoke beyond the lot line.  Such home occupation shall not employ more than two (2) persons who are not members of the family nor occupy a floor area greater than twenty-five percent (25%) of the floor area of the dwelling unit.  Goods sold at retail shall be those manufactured or assembled on the premises.  Care of children in the home, provided that no more than three (3) children are cared for, shall be considered a home occupation and shall be considered exempt from parking restrictions and site review.  Signs for a home occupation shall be in accordance with the provisions of Section 42.8 of this ordinance.