What if I want to do something that is not permitted in my zone?

You can apply for a "variance" from the Zoning Board of Adjustment.  There are five tests your proposal has to meet in order for the Board to grant a variance.  The Planning and Development Department in City Hall has copies of the application form and will provide technical assistance depending upon the specific request and circumstances.